Wednesday 7 February 2007

Be patient ...

After weeks of lacking inspiration finally the day has come where I feel that I have to start writing again. I am working on my first English piece and to be honest, it is pretty hard to express myself in a foreign language. To find the right words, to give them the meaning I want them to have, to put them together, word after word, piece by piece, like a puzzle, so that in the end they will make a colorful picture. I am doing my best and still, sometimes my words just sound plump and dumb. Anyway, I will give it a try, be patient with me ....

Today I was walking home from Déak tér and on my way I discovered lots of things I have never recognized before. I was walking in these streets for so many times during the last months and they always seemed the same to me. You look at the same buildings, at the same street names, the same signs. You recognize the same shops and cafés each time you go there. But today was different. I looked at it in a different way, I discovered it, I explored it! I found this lovely "cukrászda" with cakes in all kinds of tastes, sizes and colours. I found a music gymnasium and a German speaking grammar school, where I watched the kids playing soccer during their break. Some of the girls wanted to join, and of course the boys were teasing them. Later on my way, I went to the Férenc Liszt Music Academy. I had known before that it was quite close to my apartment, but I have never been inside. From the first moment I entered this huge old building I could feel the spirit of music and art all around me. I walked through the halls, took a look into the big concert hall and finally stopped in front of one of the class rooms to listen to the sound of music. Yes, there is nothing else that can touch all people's hearts as deeply as music. No other language in the world that everybody can understand, even without speaking it.

Just before reaching my apartment I saw this tiny old woman standing at the corner of the street, begging for some money. Although she was small, and old and grey, she was standing straight with her head upraised watching people passing by. Different to most other homeless people she was observing what was going on around her and she was smiling. When I gave her my last 500 Forints her face brightened up even more and her clear eyes were shining. She was deeply greatful. Greatful for something that we would consider as "nothing", and that we are spending carelessly every day.

What an inspiration! How could I not write about this amazing walk home from Déak tér?

Ulli


1 comment:

larsa said...

Hi Ulli!
I like your initiative to write in english!! Are you going out tonight, ive heard there are some band playing at a club nearby nuygati (blue line)
take care /Lars